Saturday, November 04, 2006

Blogpost #3: Library Blog of note

As I was conducting research for a different archives class, I ran across a blog that caught my attention. The special library at the Morton Arboretum in Lisle, IL has been posting regular blogs for over a year and a half about what they offer there at the Sterling Morton Library. I visited the library for this other project and was very intrigued by their collection of materials and spectacular organization of all things botanical.
However, on the blog, I noticed that the staff have been posting about things other than just their very strong collection. They have shown readers the exhibits, noteworthy articles, upcoming discussion groups as well as the artwork and architecture of the facility. It seems to me that they have jumped in with both feet into this realm of cyber-promoting, and have utilized it very well. They have been trying to connect with botanists, scientists, art lovers, nature lovers, librarians and educators all.
This tool of blogging can seem to be very daunting to some, but seeing it done well by a library that many may not have even heard of warms my heart. Now this is certainly not the only library that has a blog, obviously...but it certainly helps me to see a single example done well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rita said...

Yippee! I'm delighted by your comments about the Sterling Morton Library’s blog! There are so many aspects of our Library’s exhibits, collections, resources and space to share with an interested and eager world. Our blog presents a rich opportunity to reach out, educate, entice and invite. Thanks again for your post!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Annalisa said...

I took a look at this blog and I thought is was great how the librarians used everyday occurances to advertise their library collection. For example, one of the librarians saw a group of cranes flying overhead and used this everyday event to advertise about their collection of materials on cranes. What a great way to encourage people to visit you library and also inform them about what is important to you.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home